To welcome us in the first room of the entrance there is the most famous image of the Patron Saint of Naples, San Gennaro with the cruets of blood, depicted in the famous painting by Francesco Solimena in 1701. Some reliquary busts, which represent only a part of the large number of Patrons at the side of San Gennaro in the defense of the city, were placed in a suitable space of the Museum, and exposed in a different perspective from that which for centuries has been proposed to the faithful. In 1711 it was reached a number of 22 patrons of Naples, which, subsequently, they were joined by others, such as Sant’Irene, protector from lightning, made by the silversmith Carlo Schisano in 1733; and Sant’Emidio, protector from earthquakes, by Gaetano Fumo. Still unknown are the silversmiths of the reliquary busts of Santa Chiara and San Pietro Martire, while of more recent acquisitions is San Nicola, by Gian Domenico Vinaccia.
Extraordinary examples that document the successful synthesis of painting, sculpture and silver art of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries are the statues of San Michele Arcangelo and Tobiolo e l’Angelo.
In the first rooms of the Museum a group of jars are exposed, aimed to furnish the first step of the Major Altar, work of Gennaro Monte.
The pair of chandeliers of rock crystal belongs to a group of six specimens with the cross of rock crystal, which is also displayed in the Museum.
A very rare example of seventeenth-century parade silverware and not for liturgical use is the gilded silver oval plate, made by Biagio Guariniello in 1698. At the center there is the crowned crest of the city of Naples, held by two cherubs.
Very unusual is one of the oldest works on display: the jug for pontifical with its basin is dated between the late sixteenth and early seventeenth century.
Particularly scenic and unusual is the set of Equipment for pontifical functions, a real kit, that is, for all circumstances that can bind a bishop, beginning with the celebration of Mass.